Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Solitude.

I read an article in The Sydney Morning Herald (20-21/2/10) that described the joys to be found in seclusion. It was an interesting read - I found myself agreeing with a lot of it. I'm not saying I endorse becoming a hermit and shutting oneself away from society. That's isolation and that's just unhealthy.

Nevertheless, it is undeniable that I am hardly the most social creature. I've always much preferred the quiet of being at home then being in a noisy club. I have few friends (as in, I can count those I consider friends on one hand) and the ones I do, I value. I don't search for a lot of new things to do because I'm often content with the little I already have.

I suppose it becomes problematic in some areas. At this stage in my life, it's important for me to have some sort of companionship (read: relationship) and I suppose not knowing a lot of people, nor having the drive to seek out new social networks makes such a reality a difficult one to eventuate.

What I think and what I feel and what I connect with I often feel cannot be conveyed to others. I like the idea of living in the English countryside with a dog, a library and endless time but alas the real world calls...

No comments:

Post a Comment